Thursday 2 February 2012

Medik8 'Dermaroller'.


It's another =technologically-advanced gadgety thing in this month's wishlist!
January's wishlist (very luckily) came true (see here), but this time I don't think I'll want to wait for someone to buy me this, it is in my sights and I am getting it, whether that means I can't afford to eat for a month or not!

This menacing looking thing in the picture above is a dermaroller, and is used to 'microneedle' the face.
Basically it is a roller with tiny little needles on it. You roll it over an area of skin several times (click on this to see the application procedure in more detail), and the tiny little needles wound the skin, thus stimulating the production of collagen and elastin from the fibroblasts, thus gradually reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
The little 'tunnels' the needles create also allow for deeper penetration of topical skincare products and increase blood flow to the skin.
It doesn't just work on facial wrinkles...it also works on;
- Pigmentation
- Eye wrinkles
- Cellulite
- Scars

There is a Medik8 dermaroller on ilovebeautyproducts.com for £40, so it is definitely affordable and very much definitely in my sights. There are more expensive ones, but it is just a paint roller with tiny needles on, you don't need to pay the earth for one if you can get one for that good a price!

There are two versions of the Medik8 dermaroller. The first is one with a 0.2mm set of needles and the second is one with a 0.3mm set of needles.
Starting off with the 0.2mm dermaroller is recommended for the beginner to micro-needling or have sensitive, thin and delicate skin, so this is the one I would need to get in the first instance.
The 0.3mm dermaroller is recommeneded 'if your skin is comparatively thick and resistant to pain or if you are not new to microneedle rollers and would like to obtain more spectacular results than with Personal Medik8 Titanium Dermaroller 0.2mm'.
However, after a few months with the 0.2mm dermaroller I possibly would need to move up to the 0.3mm dermaroller in order to achieve more 'spectacular' results.
There are other larger needle sizes available, but you have to consult your dermatologist/doctor for those (sad face), and the 0.2mm and 0.3mm are the only ones available for home use.
I read a review in the Daily Express (Monday 30th January 2012), and the woman (Alice Smellie) who reviewed it said that it hurt, and that she had to do it with gritted teeth. It also left her skin quite raw and inflamed. However, Alice said that her skin looked 'instantly luminous' and that it produces 'great results'.
Veronique Bataille (a consultant dermatologist) says that this is one area of skincare where there is proof of it's efficacy. And scientific proof of anything to do with skincare makes me happy.

So, I don't know when I'm going to get it, but the more I think about it, the more I want it. So no doubt it won't be too long before it finds it's way into my eager hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment