Thursday 20 September 2012

How much is my beauty routine?

I saw this feature in 'Healthy' magazine, and found it so interesting to see how much people spent on themselves in areas like haircare, skincare and makeup. Some people would spend more on haircare whilst scrimping on skincare and makeup or vice versa, whilst others would scrimp on all areas.
I thought it would be really interesting to do one for myself, and although I already know what area is going to be the one I spend most on, it would be interesting just how much I spent on each little bit.

So, here goes...

Skincare.
Cetaphil 'Gentle Skin Cleanser' - £8.99
Elemis 'Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing Facial Wash' - £27.60
Elemis 'Papaya Enzyme Peel' - £28.60
No7 'Total Renewal Micro-dermabraison Exfoliator' - £11
Clarisonic 'Mia' - Gifted
Estee Lauder 'Advanced Night Repair' - £54
Eucerin 'Dry Skin Relief Face Cream 5% Urea' - £11
Eucerin 'Aquaphor Soothing Skin Balm' - £8.50
Prescription Retin-A - £14
Vichy 'Capital Sun SPF 50 Mattifying Face Fluid Dry Touch' - £10.43
Subtotal: £174.12

I look at this and I wince. I know in my heart that this is a lot of money to spend. But I can't help it, my skin is the most important thing to me; more important than my figure, my hair, clothes etc. I have always been self-conscious about my skin because of my acne, which among the obvious nasty whiteheads, leaves scars and uneven skintone. And this is what inspires me to find products which will help me achieve a 'perfect' skin. So even though this is quite a hefty sum of money, I don't think I would change my skincare routine, I use what works for me, and that's important.
There are a couple of items in this routine that actually don't necessarily work for me (the Elemis cleanser is not having the effect I thought it would - reviews to come!), so I'll probably switch to a cheaper La Roche Posay physiological cleanser when I've ran out, which is about half the price! This would bring the total spend down a tad.
Overall, in terms of my skincare routine - price is no object. Either way; I'm not a beauty snob and love 'drugstore' products; like Eucerin for night creams.

Makeup.
Illamasqua 'Light Liquid Foundation' - £23
Illamasqua 'Concealer' - £13
Illamasqua 'Cream Pigment' in 'Androgen' - £17
Bourjois 'Volume Clubbing' Mascara - £5
No7 'Amazing Eyes' Eyeliner in 'Blue/Black' - £6.50
No7 'Stay Perfect' eyeshadow trio - £9.50
Rimmel 'Professional Eyebrow Pencil' - £2.99
Subtotal: £76.99

I know I spend less on makeup than I do skincare, I just don't think it is as important as good quality skincare. You can never hide bad skin, no matter how much makeup you cake on. Plus I find it hard to get as excited about makeup opposed to skincare.
I'm looking at cheapening my collection even more, I was looking at purchasing some MUA products (especially the eyeshadow palettes) which have got some very good reviews and products start at just £1! Bargainous!
The more expensive products from Illamsqua have proved good value for money because they last ages and you only use a tiny bit at a time, so I don't regret those slightly more expensive purchases, I view them as investments!

Haircare.
Own brand shampoo - 68p
Botanics '3 Minute Deep Conditioning Mask' - £4.99
Charles Worthington 'Front Row Heat Defence Spritz' - £5.49.
Subtotal: £11.16

I never ever used to really take care of my hair, so it's no surprise I spend the least on it. I used to wash it every day with whatever shampoo I could find (sometimes shower gel!), then blow dry then straighten, and voila. But recently I'm really trying to take better care of it because since I've lightened it the condition of it has deteriorated. This means washing it every other day, using a hair mask and not straightening it so much as I used to. I'm also trying to grow it, so hopefully these changes will encourage it to!

GRAND TOTAL: £262.27

I told you it would be completely obvious what area I spend my money on and what areas I claw back the money!
People have different reasons for spending what they do on either their hair, skin or makeup, and what ever makes you happy is the most important thing. I know people who have look beautiful but their beauty regime is so simple! Unfortunately, I'm not one of those naturally beautiful people and I do need to spend a lot of dollar in order to look respectable!

How much is your beauty regime worth?

No comments:

Post a Comment